Selected:

Mtskheta & Monasteries

$120.0

Mtskheta & Monasteries

From /per Person -

$28

Description

JVARI MONASTERY is a sixth century Georgian Orthodox monastery near Mtskheta, eastern Georgia. Along with other historic structures of Mtskheta, it is listed as a World Heritage site by UNESCO. Jvari Monastery stands on the rocky mountaintop at the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi rivers, overlooking the town of Mtskheta, which was formerly the capital of the Kingdom of Iberia. According to traditional accounts, on this location in the early 4th century Saint Nino, a female evangelist credited with converting King Mirian III of Iberia to Christianity, erected a large wooden cross on the site of a pagan temple. The cross was reportedly able to work miracles and therefore drew pilgrims from all over the Caucasus. The present “Great Church of Jvari”, is generally have been built between 590 and 605 AD.
MTSKHETA is a city in Mtkheta-Mtianeti province of Georgia. One of the oldest cities of Georgia, it is located north of Tbilisi, at the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi rivers. Mtskheta was founded by the ancient Meschian tribes in the 5th century BC. It was capital of the early Georgian Kingdom of Iberia from the 3rd century BC to the 5th century AD. It was a site of early Christian activity resulting in Christianization of Iberia, where Christianity was proclaimed the state religion in 337. It remains the headquarters of the Georgian Orthodox Church.
SVETITSKHOVELI Svetitskhoveli is the cathedral patriarchal church of the Georgian Orthodox Church in honor of the twelve Apostles in the city of Mtskheta, which for thousands of years has been the main cathedral of all of Georgia. Since 1994, a World Heritage Site. Among the preserved historical structures, Svetitskhoveli is the largest in Georgia. For centuries it has been the center of Christianity in Georgia. Back in the 4th century, King Mirian III, who converted to Christianity, on the advice of Equal-to-the-Apostles Nina, built the first wooden church in Georgia, which has not survived to this day, on the site of a modern church.
SHIOMGVIME MONASTIC COMPLEX was found in the second part of VI century by one of Assyrian preachers named Shio. It was one of outstanding religious and cultural centers in the feudal time in Georgia. Shiomgvime monastic complex includes: dome church of John the Baptist middle VI century, upper church XI-XII century, refectory XII century and a chapel near monastery XII century. From VI century up to the beginning of XII century Shiomgvime was supervisin of Catholicos-Patriarch. David Agmashenebeli (David the Builder) turned it into a Royal ownership. In XIX-XX centuries Shiomgvime was fundamentally restored.
CHRONICLES OF GEORGIA or so called Tbilisi’s own Stonehenge was created by Zurab Tsereteli, a Georgian born Soviet-trained sculptor, he has selected all history of 3000 years of Georgian Kingdom. Building began in 1983 – USSR but never finished. Monument consists of 16 columns, up to 35 meters high and it is made of cupper and bronze. As it is located on a hill you may observe from one side Gldani district of the capital with soviet apartment buildings and from another side Tbilisi Sea – spring water reservoir made in 1952 – USSR to provide Tbilisi tab water. It is quite big dimension 9 X 3 km and 45 meters deep.
JVARI MONASTERY is a sixth century Georgian Orthodox monastery near Mtskheta, eastern Georgia. Along with other historic structures of Mtskheta, it is listed as a World Heritage site by UNESCO. Jvari Monastery stands on the rocky mountaintop at the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi rivers, overlooking the town of Mtskheta, which was formerly the capital of the Kingdom of Iberia. According to traditional accounts, on this location in the early 4th century Saint Nino, a female evangelist credited with converting King Mirian III of Iberia to Christianity, erected a large wooden cross on the site of a pagan temple. The cross was reportedly able to work miracles and therefore drew pilgrims from all over the Caucasus. The present “Great Church of Jvari”, is generally have been built between 590 and 605 AD.
MTSKHETA is a city in Mtkheta-Mtianeti province of Georgia. One of the oldest cities of Georgia, it is located north of Tbilisi, at the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi rivers. Mtskheta was founded by the ancient Meschian tribes in the 5th century BC. It was capital of the early Georgian Kingdom of Iberia from the 3rd century BC to the 5th century AD. It was a site of early Christian activity resulting in Christianization of Iberia, where Christianity was proclaimed the state religion in 337. It remains the headquarters of the Georgian Orthodox Church.
SVETITSKHOVELI Svetitskhoveli is the cathedral patriarchal church of the Georgian Orthodox Church in honor of the twelve Apostles in the city of Mtskheta, which for thousands of years has been the main cathedral of all of Georgia. Since 1994, a World Heritage Site. Among the preserved historical structures, Svetitskhoveli is the largest in Georgia. For centuries it has been the center of Christianity in Georgia. Back in the 4th century, King Mirian III, who converted to Christianity, on the advice of Equal-to-the-Apostles Nina, built the first wooden church in Georgia, which has not survived to this day, on the site of a modern church.
SHIOMGVIME MONASTIC COMPLEX was found in the second part of VI century by one of Assyrian preachers named Shio. It was one of outstanding religious and cultural centers in the feudal time in Georgia. Shiomgvime monastic complex includes: dome church of John the Baptist middle VI century, upper church XI-XII century, refectory XII century and a chapel near monastery XII century. From VI century up to the beginning of XII century Shiomgvime was supervisin of Catholicos-Patriarch. David Agmashenebeli (David the Builder) turned it into a Royal ownership. In XIX-XX centuries Shiomgvime was fundamentally restored.
CHRONICLES OF GEORGIA or so called Tbilisi’s own Stonehenge was created by Zurab Tsereteli, a Georgian born Soviet-trained sculptor, he has selected all history of 3000 years of Georgian Kingdom. Building began in 1983 – USSR but never finished. Monument consists of 16 columns, up to 35 meters high and it is made of cupper and bronze. As it is located on a hill you may observe from one side Gldani district of the capital with soviet apartment buildings and from another side Tbilisi Sea – spring water reservoir made in 1952 – USSR to provide Tbilisi tab water. It is quite big dimension 9 X 3 km and 45 meters deep.

What to expect

  • • Jvari Monastery – World Heritage site by UNESCO – 590 and 605 AD
  • • Mtskheta – 5th century BC
  • • Svetitskhoveli – built in 1010 – 1029 AD
  • • Shiomgvime monastic complex – second part of 6th century AD
  • • Chronicles of Georgia – 3000 years of Georgian Kingdom history

Free Wi-Fi Personal car Tour guide Bottled water Pick up & drop 5-6 hours

Duration: 5-6 hours

Includes

  • ✓ Safe, clean & comfortable car
  • ✓ Driver / Guide, English / Russian spoken as up on requirement
  • ✓ Entrance fees (there are no entrance fees on this sightseeing tour program)
  • ✓ Water 0.5 l (per person per day)
  • ✓ Car charger for all mobile devices
 

Excludes

  • ✓ Meals & Drinks

  • Booking

    • 0 $ + to original price
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $
    • 0 $

Guideline

Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo. Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Close Menu
×
×

Cart

API key not valid, or not yet activated.